An ideal candidate

| 2 comments

So, I just saw a position for a cataloguer. It contains the phrase "the ideal candidate will be fluent in Mongolian and have experience with MARC records." Right, then. I guess we have three people in the entire world for whom that sentence is felicitous. Too bad only one of them also speaks English and she doesn't have an ALA-accredited library degree. Good luck, library Associates!

Now, if I could only find a job that values what I can offer: useless trivia. Such as the fact that candidate comes from the Latin word for "clothed in white". Why? Because in Rome, only those running for office were allowed to wear the white toga. See, that history of clothing class wasn't an entire waste, now was it?

Unrelatedly, later this afternoon, I have a phone interview with Southern Virginia University. I'm hoping I can trick them into hiring me, actually. Notwithstanding the harsh honor code, the rural situation, the (presumably) meagre pay and the tiny collection (140,000 items). Wish me luck. Or not, if you actually care about my happiness.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Hey, totally off topic, but have you heard about the changes in the Honor code at BYU about homosexuality? I think it's a very good step.

alea said...

I saw. I think it's a step in the right direction, but I'm still a little uneasy about the whole "advocating" clause. Would BYU be so harsh if someone were to try and show how abortion isn't evil? Baby steps, I suppose.

Post a Comment