Bye bye beardie

| 3 comments

I had no fewer than ten people today ask me what happened to my forehead. They thought it was bruised. I'm not certain what they imagined me doing where I would have one small, very black bruise right in the middle of my forehead. In a vaguely cruciform pattern, even. Of course, over half those folks had no idea what I was talking about when I started to explain Ash Wednesday. Clearly, I'm working in a very cultured, well-informed environment. I ended up going to a mass in the middle of my work day. I figured I wouldn't be needed, plus the snow this am made me miss the 7:30 am service. Going at 9 did mean that I was there with the school kids (the parish church is part of a private school). Is there anything cuter than first graders giving each other the sign of peace? I don't think so.

I think I gave my entire face razor burn yesterday. The beard is gone, but I've had this odd sensation of heat radiating from my face all day. Hopefully I didn't damage the flesh too badly.

Lastly, I learned today that my library is going to become a shared service point for the current school and another school (owned by the same parent company) that offers degrees in business, education and psychology. I can think of only a few areas where the thought of collection development disgusts me more than those. And the thought of having to help students find the size of the bicycle market in Korea or other such nonsense is almost enough to make me break out in hives. Pursuant to this new tidbit, my growing dissatisfaction with life in general, and the increased number of job openings this time of year means I may try in earnest to find another job. If only it weren't so much work. Or rather, if only I were an attractive candidate.

3 comments:

Seagulljaap said...

Alea-


Your beard is gone! I can't look at your shiny face without blinding myself!

Craig said...

Was it a musical mass?

Where is the catholic church in SLC?

alea said...

It was not a musical mass. We "sang" a few congregational hymns, as Catholics aren't known too much for their strong singing.

I prefer to go to mass at the Cathedral downtown, but this time I went to St. John Baptist in Draper (it's connected with Juan Diego high school).

Post a Comment